I Believe in Baby and Blankie

Laura - Centennial, Colorado

I Believe in Baby and Blankie

On the day I was born, I was given a small blanket. From the moment I could speak, I called it ‘Blankie’. This blanket was yellow with little green animals, animals such as lions, giraffes, monkeys, and elephants. Blankie kept me warm as a little baby, comforted me when I was sick, and came on all of the trips that I went on. For my third birthday, I received a baby doll. The baby had a pink outfit, with eyes that opened and closed and even a little squeaker. That same day, I was taken to an Ice Cream shop with my new baby doll. The woman asked me what her name was and ‘Baby’ was what came out.

Now I had two friends and I would tell my mom every night when I was tucked in to sleep, that I was afraid that if I gave too much attention to one, the other would become jealous, crazy enough I still sometimes believe it. Although they were just material possessions, they were as real as any person could be, they listened. After such a long time being taken everywhere, Baby and Blankie were very worn out. Blankie had a nice trim around the sides that I loved to pull at, and soon enough he was in mere shreds. My mom fixed them up by sewing old Blankie to new fabric and putting Baby in the wash. I cried for days straight because these were not Baby and Blankie. I finally forgave my mom and went back to the way things were before but it was never the same.

Now ten years later, I can no longer see the old part of Blankie, all that is left is the new fabric that Blankie was sewn on to. I can see the blue permanent marker stain when Dad and I were playing crazy eight’s on the airplane and I was keeping score, my hand slipped and a big blue stain and a great memory is what’s left. I can see the Gatorade stain from when I had the flu a couple of years ago. The mascara stain is still there from when my grandfather died and I cried myself to sleep for nights straight. As I look at Baby and Blankie now, I can hear the stories that I have told them throughout the years. They listened. More than anyone else could. This I believe.