I believe in singing

Tamela - Montrose, Colorado

I believe in singing to and with our children. It’s a blessing we give them and ourselves by creating a bond with our family. It passes down through this vibrational connection, a sense of who we are and where we come from.

Everyone can sing if they can speak, but I know that some of us are voice challenged and others of us are math challenged, (I work harder at math). But everyone has a soul. Through singing, the voice and the soul become one and we join into a special trust relationship that is unlike any other.

I first remember singing, through hearing the voice of my mother singing to me. I have memories of her singing lullabies. I have memories of her singing with us in the car, teaching us the melody well enough for us to sing while she sang the harmony. I also remember hearing my father belting Kris Kristofferson tunes while listening to one of his countless vinyl albums, (the ones no-one-is-to-put-their-finger-prints-on!) I do remember many of the songs: for example, some how I know all the words to L-O-V-E by Nat King Cole. I know it’s not the beauty of either of my parents’ voices that touches my heart; it’s those vibrational memories. These are beautiful memories. What a gift to bestow upon your children, the memory of a song. It isn’t something with a price tag, it’s bigger, stronger – it is core to the human soul.

Recently a friend and important man in my life passed away, but the memory of his singing and his way of incorporating singing into occasion’s remains. He BELIEVED in singing, he wasn’t a musician by trade, but he wanted to sing at his own funeral, and in fact he did; his family had put together a recording of him singing some of his favorite songs. His grandchildren wrote a poem for him, accompanied by their mother on the mandolin. Another grandchild sang the dinner song I heard him sing so often. So he’s still singing through others, these songs of his, he passed them down to his family and the people who were blessed enough to hear him sing, this is now incorporated into who we are.

Sometimes what touches us the most is right under our nose. In a world of high dollar solutions it is a simple task to let your voice join another in song, to join in positive health-giving vibrations together. Beyond the feelings expressed in the song, there is an understanding of another that is deepened when voices are unified through singing.

I teach, I have taught and I will continue to help others find their voice. It’s part of the bigger picture of who I am and what I strive to cultivate. I sing with others everyday in many different settings. I had the advantage of musical training, lessons, studying music in college and the greatest teacher of all, teaching others. I believe in singing, to and with each other.