There is One who is good

Galen - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: Christianity

I was in the hospital, too discouraged to speak to the doctor, who went out and quit the case. As I lay looking at the ceiling, a still small voice said to me, “Galen, awake.” It had no accent, no tone, no sound, but spoke to the mind, perfectly still, as if from far away and high above. It reminded me of the story of Elijah in the Bible, on Mt. Horeb, where a wind broke in pieces the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind, and then there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake, and then a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire, and then a still small voice. It was that same still small voice; I began to think the Bible wasn’t so irrelevant after all.

It was more than six months later when the voice spoke again and said, “My name is Love.” It is very easy to understand; actually much easier than most things in this life. I didn’t tell anyone, but I believed I had a friend named Love, and so I carried on thinking as if to a friend, “Good Love, I’m going to go to the grocery store.” I added the title Good–this friend just deserved it. It made life seem whole and simple, and let me believe that I could be good, too.

So this friendship continued for several years, until one day Love caused me to understand that it had always been with me at that place in my consciousness. Not only that, it was unerring about loving–I could always understand it as love. I then saw, in a visionary way, that righteous indignant act of Christ Jesus, overthrowing the tables of the money changers in the temple of my consciousness. Love then appeared to be omnipotent–not by dint of sheer might, but by virtue of being right–it is just so intelligent that it annulled my worst mistakes as if they had never been.

Immediately I saw these words written in heaven, I AM WHO I AM. Love loves. The God of Moses! I thought, and seeing that I believed, the still small voice politely concluded “I am God.” My gaze beheld no earthly sight, no mountain sky or bird in flight, but substance became transparent and willing to reveal that home of God called heaven. I saw and knew a windless calm, the peace that comes when all accord. In all the realm of created life there is just one Mind, so there can be no strife; no thought opposes, no one can be, lost or separated, LORD, from Thee. Hallowed be Thy name. This I believe, not only because it was perfectly intelligible, but because after 23 years it hasn’t faded as memories do, but grows more distinct and more well—real to me, because it continues to change my heart.