Opportunities

Richard - Woodland Park, Colorado

I was born in South Africa and lived there for the first six years of my life. My parents grew up in that part of the world and lived there for most of their lives. My mom was never presented with any educational opportunities and my dad had to work ridiculously hard to get his scholarship. My parents decided to move to United States for me and my two brothers so we can get more numerous and better opportunities. Around 1995 the government changed in South Africa and education plummeted. A degree there does not have a lot of value like it used to have. A degree in America is highly recognized throughout the world.

My family and I have been presented with so many educational opportunities. Every day I can improve my chances for college and scholarships. It is a complete waste if I ignore what was been put in front of me. Getting a good education is easy and will lead to great things.

I do not take for granted what has been given to me and I take advantage of that often. My parents often tell me how I would not have been able to get as good of an education if any. They also tell me how I would not have such great opportunities if we still lived in Africa.

I believe that if an educational opportunity is put in front of you, you should not turn it down; you should take advantage of it. Especially if so many are handed out in America.