I believe in heroes.

Angela - sacramento, California

I believe In Heroes!

In our world today, I believe few people stand out among others in the midst of a crowd. These are the people that mold our lives and prepare us for bigger and better things.

These are the people that will not stand down for anyone and will fight for people they don’t know. These are the people that we call soldiers.

They stand alone in a dark and decaying place; and for 6 months to 18 months they call it home. They sleep in the dirt in the freezing cold of night, and in the heat of the day they wear 60 + pounds of gear. They guard and protect what they’re told to. They fight for things and people that are most times unknown to them. At the end of the day when their Kevlar and boots come off they know at any moment they could be called back to duty. There’s never a moments rest for them. And yet they still fight for our freedoms and the freedoms of generations yet to come.

The young men and women of our country are slowly molding a country for their kids and grandkids; some are still just kids themselves. Some are barely out of high school, yet they fight for a country and a freedom they believe in. Many of them have young families of their own. They have to leave their families behind for months and years at a time. Never knowing if that last hug or that last kiss is really the last hug or kiss they’ll ever get from their families, or if they’ll make it home in one piece to get another hug or kiss. They live their lives on edge of what tomorrow holds. Every day is an uncertain one.

When I was 22 I married a military man and I had my life turned upside down and every other direction possible. My life took on a new meaning. I became a soldier’s wife. I took on the sleepless nights, the panic attacks and the loneliest moments of my life. I’ve grown up around the military, but every aspect of it is different in very big ways. When people say that the wives of the military are the backbone of the soldiers and the military, they weren’t lying. I encountered my first panic attack when my young husband told me he was being deployed to Iraq. I cried and cried some more. I had more panic attacks than a hypochondriac. I did everything I could to be strong for him. It was one of the hardest moments in my life.

One day he called me from Iraq and told me that one of our friends was killed from enemy gunfire. My heart sank and broke all at the same time. In one swift instant Ford’s laughter, warm hearted smile and his life was all taken from us. I felt the worst I had felt in months. I wanted to ask God why would he take such a young man from his family and friends, but I knew it wasn’t my place to ask that kind of a question. Ford joined knowing what the possibilities were and he took that stand, as did my husband. I sat there on the phone speechless for a long time, just sobbing. Telling my husband that I loved him and I was sorry. For us this was a life changing event. Knowing that at any moment you could be taken out of this world. And yet they still took that stand. Currently my husband is headed to Afghanistan for his 2nd deployment.

I believe that these are the people that mold and shape our world. In an unpredictable world, these are the men and women that give their lives for our freedoms. And give us hope for tomorrow to be able to have the choice to change the world we live in.

I believe they are the real heroes, the men and women of our country who perform selfless acts everyday.

They are our family members, our soldiers, and our heroes.