The Power of Love

Stephanie - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: love

I believe in the power of love and saying it to those who mean the most to you. To say,” I love you” can be said at any moment or time unlike the word hi, or bye which can only be said at the beginning and end of a conversation. Your appreciation for the simple saying”I love you” goes to a much further extent when you put your life in perspective. When I think about when will be the last chance I have to say those three words to someone I care about, it gives me more of an incentive to say it more often. My father always tells me “I love you princess.” It means a lot to me to hear him say that and how important it is to say it to others whom I love. Love is unconditional and my parents are the prime examples of that. They have taught me the true definition of love. Love is forever lasting; it is one word that will never die.

I have learned to say I love you everyday. It is a part of my daily routine and is something I will continue to do. Although my family may have some arguments and go through some rough times, we always ends up with the exchange of “I love you.” It is those words that can change everything. Whether it may be in a relationship or in a crisis, saying I love you symbolizes hope and warmth everyone needs a little bit of to get by.

My father and my great grandmother had a very strong bond. She helped raise him as a baby and so she felt very close to him and would do anything she could for him. My father is the eldest of three children and amongst them it was obvious he was her favorite. As the years passed, age became my great grandmother’s worst enemy.

At the age of 97, my father knew time wasn’t going to be on her side much longer so he decided to take our annual trip to Dallas alone. This was quit unusual because it was a family affair to visit my great grandmother. As he arrived at her house, he saw her lying helplessly in her bed. He held her hand and looked into her eyes and said “I love you.” She looked at him and smiled. It was those three words she had been waiting to hear.

The day after he left, she passed away. She had been holding on for weeks on end just to see my dad and hear him say those words. She knew that he was always going to have a special place in his heart for her. I believe saying I love you to those who truly mean everything to you is more than just a simple saying. It is what goes beyond those words that give it its true meaning.

I believe in the power of love and letting those who mean the most to you hear you say “l love you” everyday. One never knows when the last time will be to see someone, so I believe we live each day expressing our love for the people who matter to us. As author Lydia Child said,”The cure for all ills and wrongs, the cares, the sorrows and the crimes of humanity, all lie in the one word ‘love.’ It is the divine vitality that everywhere produces and restores life.”