Conflict in Sosiety

Conflict is the center point of society. Everything from movies to nations are constantly involved in one conflict or another. Many say we should have peace, stop all conflict. Conflict, however, is what makes our lives interesting. Conflict is foreseeable and if it ever ceased to exist, life would have no meaning. Conflict, not necessarily war, is both necessary and inevitable. This is what I believe.

Conflict is everywhere. It is in the media every day and in basically every aspect of people’s lives. Perhaps the most obvious place conflict appears in people’s lives is in movies. Good movies have a few essential elements; a good plot, relatable characters, and a solid conflict. Movies would simply be boring without conflict. If no one got angry at anyone else or there wasn’t any disagreement, what would the movie be about? This is why the public enjoys movies. They are a little break from reality. If people went to see a movie where nothing happened, the theater would likely have lawsuits on their hand.

Republican governments like the United State’s need conflict to continue to exist. There are conflicts in the Senate and House every day of their operation as there rightfully should be. What if all laws went totally unopposed because no one was willing to cause a conflict of interest by opposing the bill? Taxpayers would be swimming up to their necks in ridiculous regulations and a thoughtless bureaucracy would arise. Courts would also be completely asunder. If there was no conflict, no one would be on trial at all and the judicial system would be obsolete.

A society without conflict would be dull and bland. All our out entertainment would be rendered utterly valueless as it would be about nothing and we would stop advancing. Almost all human progress comes from conflict. In the American Revolution, the need to sink enemy ships without detection brought about the submarine. Today it is used for a plethora of scientific research projects. Many conflicts besides the American Revolution have also been catalysts for invention.

Not just military conflicts cause human progress. What about when the United States was building the Panama Canal; people fought mosquitoes night and day with poisons and look what humans were able to do, almost completely wipe out Panama’s mosquito population. Conflict is what causes human kind to progress. If society is standing still why is anyone even alive? What is society doing? If nothing is being done and you are not indirectly causing progress why are you alive? Without conflict society will not advance, not make new tools and technologies and the people that comprise society might as well be dead.

I believe some degree of conflict is always necessary and beneficial to society. Human kind must progress and conflict is the only way for it to do so. Conflict creates new technology and new opportunity. I believe in seeing new opportunity in every conflict from the very minor to the very expansive.