This I Believe: Choosing Your Friends

Katie - 80122

Friends are a huge part of my life. I would be nothing without them, but it doesn’t come to the point where my life revolves around only them or I am too dependent on them. We all have the privilege of getting to choose who we want to become friends with. I now honor and respect that privilege, but believe it or not, people take that privilege for granted, like I did in the past.

When I was 13 years old, I spent the summer with friends who I apparently didn’t know like I thought I did. I will admit it; I started hanging out with them so people who saw us together would think I was “cool.” I made the mistake of believing them when they told me that they cared about me and would always have my back. So I started to care about them more and more and soon enough I thought that we were the best of friends and would never let each other down. Even though they always treated me as the inferior one who was their little side-kick, I really didn’t mind for some reason that doesn’t make any sense to me today. They started convincing me to do things I knew was wrong and I didn’t even want to do in the first place. That’s when I stared missing being really close with my previous friends. But the thing is I wouldn’t have even considered doing any of that stuff if it wasn’t for my pathetic need to be friends with them. Then my parents got involved. I got caught doing all these things my friends thought would be “funny” and all I wanted to do was blame it on them. But with their influence or not, it was my decision to do the things we did even though I knew it was wrong. These kids were getting me into trouble, but I have stopped blaming them for my mistakes.

After a while, I kept getting grounded and my so called friends were piling the blame for everything on me. They didn’t have my back, and they certainly didn’t care. I was having so many issues at that time and they didn’t even try to help me out after all the times I had helped them with their problems. What’s a friend for, right?

That summer I made a poor choice of friends. From that experience, I now know the true value of friendship. I started talking to those people again, and we are on good terms, but we don’t really hang out anymore. My close friends today would do anything for me and I would do nothing but the same for them. They are what I call true friends. Your friends are the ones you will be spending the most time with at this age, so choose them wisely. You can never have too many buddies at this age so why not be open? I believe in choosing your friends wisely.