Achieving Glory

Aakash - Tigard, Oregon

My football team was known as the defeated team, the team who always lost. That past is all behind us now and our coaches helped us move on. There were many people who quit the team so they would not have to face all those losses or go through another season like that. After that freshmen year, my second season of football started, so as a sophomore, I played on the junior varsity team. By the end of the season, I started to believe anyone could achieve anything if they set their mind to it.

When I started my freshman year here at Beaverton High School, I decided to try football for the first time. I met many people and after seeing what they could do, it seemed like we had a good team. Later on, I found out the other freshmen who played football in the past hasn’t experienced too many victories, at all. Just as expected, we lost our first game 0-20 to Grant High School. The second game was against Milwaukie, a school that has yet to win a game, so we won a big win, 28-0. But after that, we lost every game. Some games were as bad as 7-61. We got in the habit of giving up half way through the game if we were losing. By the third quarter, we thought all hope was lost and we stopped believing in our selves.

In the beginning of my second season, everyone had doubts of my sophomore class. We had all worked hard before the season started because we wanted to do better than the year before. We had to regain all the dignity we lost. Our freshman team was already small, so the loss of players did not help. Since we would not have had nearly enough players, we got some of the juniors to swing down and help us as much as they could. With those juniors at our side, our self-esteem had been boosted by a lot.

After the first two games, we had already doubled our previous record and we didn‘t lose a game. We could not have asked for anymore! All of us knew we had what it took to go all the way. Going into the regular season, we had three wins and a loss. Then we lost the first three league games. Our team was satisfied with where we got, we were not focusing, and we were not playing to our full extent. All of our coaches helped us refocus and get motivated into believing in ourselves whenever there was a hint of doubt in our brains. We then won our first Metro league game by a landslide 54-14. Halfway through the third quarter, it felt like the game was about end because the score was about 42-6. In that same game I played the most I had ever played before. All our running backs were injured and, even though I was a wide receiver, I had prior knowledge of the position so they put me in and I got a couple yards. Then there was also defense. As a corner back, I played safety for the first time. I guess my defensive back coach wanted me to try safety and there couldn’t have been a better time test it. I was carrying the whole team playing offense and defense, without any breaks.

In the end, we came out 4-5, finishing with a losing record. For some it was nothing to celebrate for, but for us it was an accomplishment. The defeated team I was once a part of, was a thing of the past. We quadrupled our freshman record because of many different reasons. Our coaches were there for us the whole time pushing us to do the best we could and the juniors who swung down from varsity sparked that flame we needed. But the main reason my team did so much better was because we believed, we believed we could achieve glory.