Having Fun

Nick - USA

Being a teenager isn’t always fun. In fact, tons of pressure is put on us to succeed and do well in whatever we do. I am constantly under pressure and uncomfortable, but the one thing that I have learned through the years is to always have fun and this I believe. Doing well was ingrained in my brain at a young age; even petty things had to be done well. This made me very uncomfortable when I didn’t do well, and I could get very nervous. But growing up made me realize that some things don’t matter and to have fun with it. If everyone was more relaxed and enjoyed doing what they do, then imagine how great the world can become! I’m not saying that it would be peaceful, but it would seem more relaxed, like letting out a big huge breath.

Coming from a small charter school, I was extremely bad at socializing and having to be seen as a person who does well handicapped me even more. But as I learned to have fun and not care what others have to say, I opened up and became who I really want to be. If you are a teenager who stresses over being viewed well or being perfect, just say whatever to what is bothering you and open up. Everyone makes mistakes, and just because you do doesn’t mean the world is over, simply look back, laugh, and then move on.

I see too many people who are all work and no play. You are wasting your time. This can get you far in your career but it’s not going to get you far in life. Have fun. Take breaks and enjoy life. In fact, take a long break and do the things that make you happy. That’s what I do. Every break I get in winter my family and I go up skiing. It gives me time to slow down and enjoy life. Because we do this I can relax and forget the pressures of being a teenager all the while I’ll be flying down the mountain, enjoying what I have. If you like skiing, go skiing for a week. If you like a sport, go join a team, but don’t stress about whether you are good enough or not, or if you are seen as being a person who does well, because if you have fun, it’s not going to matter. I’m not telling you to go out and just blow off all of the things that actually are important, but I’m merely asking you to enjoy the most important thing you have and that is life. Enjoy it. This I believe, and it helps me to live a great life.