Life is easier as you get older… I disagree.

jacob - centennial, Colorado

I believe that as you get older your life gets harder. But then once you pass the peak of your life you start going down, you retire, move to a retirement community and then watch TV all day until eventually your life comes to an end.

You life is like a mountain. When you start life, you start out on the plains next to the mountains, flat and easy. When you start school you enter the foot hills of the mountain. Life on the plains is easy, there is plenty to eat; you can sleep comfortably, just like as if you were being taken care of by your mother or father. Life on the foothills is a little harder; you have more responsibilities such as getting your own food, and instead of sleeping as much as you need you have responsibilities that you need to do like chores and homework. You mother is not as present as she was on the plains.

Once you start high school you start to climb the mountain. Your parents are still behind you but they are only there to catch you if you fall. They aren’t there to help you with your homework, or to console you when you get a bad grade on a test. When you start college you parent are still there like in high school, but they are much farther behind you. If you fall, you are going to fall and roll quite a while before they catch you.

Alright, hot shot out of college now. Your parents are camped out at timberline and want you to climb up to the top. You get a job now; live at your own place, have the leisure to do whatever you want, and now you are looking for a girl to settle down with. After a couple years of that, you find the love of your life and find a place to live the rest of your life. The top is in sight now. Now that climb to the top is long and hard. You work your butt off to buy a house, have a car and pay all your bills. Now finally you have enough extra money to have kids. On the top you stay there and raise your kids. Once you send them off to college you finally start climbing down. That climb down isn’t easy either. It’s full of cliffs and obstacles.

Finally, off the mountain. Now you’re back on the plains, where you started from. But it’s not easy like before. You have to take care of your self and pay your bills. As you can see even though you can’t do that much you still have to do some so in many ways, this is still very hard.

I believe that life does not get easier as you get older. It gets so much harder.