Power of Choice

Samantha - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: freedom

Power of Choice

I believe in the power of choice. A power that can change lives forever. A power whose strength is impossible to calculate until it is put into action. We make numerous choices every day, deciding on everything from what to wear, to whom you love or trust. Such choices institute the paths of our lives.

Each one of us has made millions of choices during our lives so far some, have made more of an impact or had more serious a consequence than others. I have made choices that turned out to be mistakes, with, regrettable consequences. The choice that has had the greatest impact on me was one that I made about a year ago. It was actually a series of choices made over the past few years. Choice one was starting a “relationship” with someone I liked tremendously. But then summer came, I went on a trip to Israel and our hearts drifted. This prompted choice number two; I chose to have us go our separate ways. I would not learn of the magnitude of the impact my choice until much later. For that school year, each of us wrestled with the notion that our hearts still longed for the other.

The next summer brought choice three; I learned to love another. The few months we shared seemed wonderful, but as the weeks passed, so did his interest. And he will never know the impact of his choices.

The next school started predictably enough, until I saw him, the boy I had given up. All my old feelings rushed back at once; choice four, I liked him again. Swiftly approaching was homecoming, after which we each confessed our returned, (and for him, never relinquished), affection for each other. We are still together to this day. Once we were catching up on each other’s life story and it was here that I learned of the impact of my choice. He had been miserable, thinking of no one else every day. I had no idea what I had done to him. He told me how grateful he was that I had made choice five, give him a second chance.

Some choices just affect one person’s life like what you are going to wear tomorrow, and the consequences are not life threatening. Other choices have much more serious consequences which can end in tragedy. One such common choice that changes people’s lives every day is drinking and driving. Each day some people choose to drink and drive resulting in auto accidents that kill and cripple the innocent. As the saying goes, “with great power comes great responsibility”. I believe in exercising our power of choice you must consider how that choice affects people and act in a manner that does not hurt others around you.

So next time you are faced with any kind of decision no matter how small you think it may be, stop and think how it could change people’s lives, including, your own, forever.