Abortion

Jessica - USA

I believe in being pro-choice in regards to abortions. I believe that it is a woman’s choice on what she should do with her body and if she so wishes to concern others in the matter and wishes to be influenced by their knowledge and experience than it should be under her own free will.

As an agnostic, I do not really understand some of the one sided ideas enforced by religions that are dead set on pro-life and look down upon other with different opinions. From my viewpoint, it seems that some powerful source gave women the gift and burden of carrying a child to term. This gift consequently gives women an important role in allowing the continuation of our existence on this planet. For this situation the well known movie phrase “with great power comes great responsibility” comes to mind. I believe that with responsibility also come choices. If not, then women are simply a tool and vessel for procreation. I feel that some people decide to be strict on some religious views but choose to leave others under the rug. In many religions texts, such as the bible, God tells us what to do with our bodies in regards to abortions and other personal actions. Cut the foreskin off your infant’s body, don’t put pork into your body, don’t put tattoos on your body, don’t touch your penis for pleasure, and don’t touch your vagina for pleasure. I believe that it is easy to judge other people’s action before your own especially when attacking others through the bible.

From the perspective of Darwin’s theory of evolution, many animals will instinctively take the life of their babies if they feel that the off-spring can not survive or will suffer. As humans and women I believe that we will still have a sense of these instincts combined with our intellect and free will given to us by a higher being. Who can really judge a mother or expecting mother’s motives when she is the only one that can truly encompass or understand the situation? I can understand why someone would not want someone to have an abortion. It’s not a decision to take lightly. Giving up a chance at maternity is a huge emotional and spiritual burden, and who knows if the woman will ever get that chance again? It’s her body and she’s got to do what she thinks is right. But it is her body and her future that is on the line and personal sovereignty demands that we let her make her own decision. I have read about many different opinions on abortion through the years and have had many heated discussions about this topic. I respect many people’s view points as long as they choose to respect the idea that it is not really their place to judge others in their actions because they are not in their position and have not lived their life.