Laghing is Good

fatma - 78236-6301, Texas

Her name was Fatma. They say I look like her. True. When I look at her photographs I see myself. That woman whom I know only through the photos and the grave we visit time and again was my grandmother. My mother was just 14 when she passed away. Leaving seven unattended children behind, she must have been worried about each of them.

If you knew my mother and six aunts, you would realize she needn’t have worried at all. Because each one of those women has taken care of herself well. Moreover, they have become a source of positive energy for the people around them. Because they can find a laughable side in everything.

Everybody adores my mother’s sense of humor. If somebody in the family or from the neighborhood needs someone to talk to that is always her. Our house has always had a guest visiting her for a cup of coffee or someone in need of being soothed over a bad experience. She is the one who can transform everything into a laughable subject over a cup of coffee. Everybody misses her sense of humor if she goes somewhere for a few days. Upon her arrival, she recounts the experience in a laughable version to the ones missing her. She is such an incredible woman.

When my mother and her sisters get together, which happens at least once a year, everybody knowing them wants to visit them or have them over to their house. Because “seven humorous women in a room ” is really a view to watch. I have seen people laughing in tears many times during these occasions.

One day I asked my mother about it. How come each of them love to laugh so much and can make other people around to do so. The answer was simple: During the hard days after losing their mother to an early death they had to survive. She did not remember exactly which one of the sisters started it first but it communicated from one sister to the other. Those seven children, the eldest being 14 and the youngest one six months old have survived the hard years without the care and support of a mother. Thanks to laughing they communicated with the world around them. Then they communicated laughing to their surroundings.

Being the daughter of one of these great women I can’t live a day without laughter because I have experienced the positive effect of it from the day I was born to this very day. I believe in the power of laughing because I have seven living proofs.