how my family helped me through a hard time

Cody - Bardstown, Kentucky

I believe that family can help you through anything. When I was in third grade I was about 9 and my grandpa was getting old and struggling. My family said he would be fine so I believed them because they are my family. So I went about my life as any other 9 year old hanging out with friends and playing sports.

One day I went to my grandpa’s house because I liked to see him but he would give you money when you came. When I went inside to see him he looked different. I knew he was my grandpa, so I did the usual and talked to him and hugged him. After I left the house, I asked my dad if he would be ok and my dad said “yes”. Time past. Grandpa got sick. Eventually he was put in the hospital which didn’t bother me.

Because I was young and I didn’t know anything was wrong, the last time I saw him was like any other. I talked to him like I usually did when I was there with him and right before I left him for the last time I gave him a hug and told him that I loved him. I’m not sure how long after that papa past away but I do know that I will never forget that day. I was sleeping because I had school the next day and I didn’t want to give my mom a hard time waking up. Anyway around 11 o’clock at night my mom comes in my room and gets me and tells me to go in the living room and pick up the phone because my dad is on it. So I go in there and pick up the phone and I start talking to him and then all of a sudden my dad told me that papa had died. As soon as I heard that I dropped the phone, hugged my mom and started balling my eyes out.

The day after he died we went to the funeral home and it had to be one of the saddest places in the world. Everybody was crying; once I saw my papa laying in that casket I started crying again. My family comforted me which I greatly appreciated. After a couple of hours there I went home with my cousins but my parents stayed. I don’t really remember the burial but I do remember that after a couple of days everything went back to normal which made me happy. Someday I know I will be up there with grandpa.