Car Insurance

Zack - Bardstown, Kentucky
Themes: setbacks

I believe that insurance shouldn’t be so high for teenagers. Insurance costs are rising higher and higher every year. Just because teenagers are younger than most drivers doesn’t mean that they aren’t good drivers. It’s wrong to say that just because statistics say that teenagers have more wrecks than older drivers shouldn’t mean that we should pay double what they do. Most people think that stereotyping is wrong to do, then why should over charging teenagers for car insurance be ok? The insurance companies should wait to see how many wrecks we have before charging us too much for insurance.

Our insurance doesn’t lower until we are eighteen, and that’s only if we haven’t had accidents or tickets. How do the insurance companies expect the kids to pay so much for insurance when we also have the high gas prices to deal with? It would be nearly impossible to manage both of these costs along with school and extra curricular activities, such as a job or sport, not to mention the price of buying a car. It’s almost essential for our parents to chip in and help with all the expenses. If teens got paid like normal adults do instead get getting paid minimum wage wherever you work, then it would be understandable. If our parents are always helping us with our financial expenses then how are we supposed to develop responsibility? I think by lowering the insurance for teenagers it would help us to gain a better sense of responsibility and help us to realize what it’s going to be like when we’re on our own. One advantage of having a high insurance bill is that it helps us to be more cautious when we’re on the road.

However, teenagers do get a little discount on their insurance if they make good grades in school. This little discount does not make that big of a difference when its time to pay though. I think that they should make this discount a lot bigger if teenagers are willing to try to make good grades. It does motivate me some to make good grades so that my insurance is lower. I think that if insurance companies aren’t willing to do this, then they should at least give it a try to see what the outcome is.