Self Defense

Jakob - Bardstown, Kentucky

Self Defense

I believe that every person has the right to defend themselves and others with deadly force if necessary. I can look at the Bible to get this belief. People may say, “I shall not kill” and people shouldn’t. But the literal meaning of the fifth commandment is “I shall not murder.” Another rule laid down by Jesus Christ treat others how you want to be treated. If somebody was attacking me I would want somebody to step in and save my life.

In the Bible people carry weapons all the time for protection and the fighting of just battles. I can not stand it when people say that guns are bad and the cause of evil. It makes me so mad and frustrated. All I can say to those people is, “Hasn’t murder been going on forever?” With or without guns, people will kill others. People can use rocks and have used rocks. When Cain killed Abel God didn’t ban the weapon but the person. God knew and knows that weapons don’t kill people, people kill people. People will always kill others, with or without guns. Their will always be violence in the world with or without guns. Their will always be criminals with or without guns. Guns can also be a crime deterrent because who is going to break into somebody’s house if they know a shotgun is waiting on the other side. Even if guns were made illegal the criminals would still have them. I know this by looking how easily it is to get drugs or stolen products. The only thing that would happen if guns were outlawed is good law abiding citizens would be defenseless to criminals.

Every human being has the right to defend themselves from the evil in the world. It is also everybody’s responsibility to defend the innocent and the weak if possible. But people should never go to vengeance and hunt down a criminal unless they are the police. There is a difference between fighting when in danger or in fear of death, then going out and killing those who have harmed you or others. I am not a saint and I will not pretend to act like a saint. I sin just like everybody else does. People should always try to avoid taking the life of another human. But sometimes it is necessary to defend yourself and other people. I have never had to defend myself with a weapon, and I hope I will never have to or be in so much danger. But I have made my decision to defend myself and others.