Judge by Experience

Allison - Centennial, Colorado

Mangled hair, tattered clothing, and the squeaking wheels of a shopping cart full of the person’s only possessions; people barely even look at the face of the person behind the mound of possession. Glazed over eyes, and a permanent frown is stationed heavily on the face of the homeless. It doesn’t matter if they are a man or a woman. They have lost all hope in their lives and look defeated and lost.

“You shouldn’t judge a man unless you’ve walked a mile in his shoes.” That is what I believe.

Many people think that people who are homeless and are begging on street corners are just lazy and not self sufficient. When I really look deeply into another person’s eyes, there is so much more than what appears just on the surface.

Since I have never been through the pain that maybe a homeless man has, I am in no way qualified to judge them. Maybe the people have experienced failure after failure in their life and cannot handle anymore. They have taken to the street corners begging because at least there, they won’t be any worse off. I have not experienced that type of pain. Maybe the person was a war veteran who was traumatized by their experience.

I should not tell another person that they are wrong and I am right. In my life maybe that decision would have been the right one, but in another person’s life it wouldn’t have. I believe that no one has the right to judge another unless they have experienced the life of the other person. If connections and similarities are made by relativity, then unless I have experienced the same thing as the other person, I have no right at all to judge them.

Many people experience many things throughout their life. So have I. If someone hasn’t experienced what I have experienced, then they have no relative grounds to judge me by. I have no relative grounds to judge them either.

I believe that no one should judge another unless they have experienced the same thing. Shopping cart or Porsche no one should just judge another without experiencing the other person’s life.