The Meaning of Life

Stephanie - Centennial, Colorado

I believe that life is to be lived for someone. I believe this not only by experience, but by witness. I witnessed the change it makes when you live life not just to live, but to live for a reason; a reason that makes you get up in the morning, and face the world with a positive attitude; a reason to make you remember why you try so hard.

The idea was seeded in my mind by a close friend of mine. We would spend countless amounts of time emailing one another, and speaking on the phone. One day in one of our conversations, he told me that he thought it was more worth living for someone than living for nothing. I had no idea what he meant. I wouldn’t understand it for some time, and I did not, nor did he, realize just how much this changed me; just how much those three words meant: live for someone.

Over the next two or three months, I realized how many people I really did live for. I live for them because the need me, and I need them. Each hug I give to each person is like renewing that promise; the promise that I was going to be there for them, and the hope that they would be there for me. Sometimes, I do feel that it’s a yin yang situation. One of my best friends, Leslie, balances me out as much as I do her. We joke around that our moods swing opposite all of the time. When she’s down, I fight to bring her back up. When I feel like my world is falling apart, she breaks out the scotch tape. We’re a perfect balance. We’re two people out there to be there for each other.

It truly makes me sad when I see those people in the world who are always down. Those people who suffer and struggle with their reason for living. I know I might’ve been there before; I would never be back there again. I ache and wish I could show them what I’ve seen. I want to tell them to look, and they’ll find the person they live for. Sometimes it’s not obvious when you’ve found them. But that’s the point, because to live for them, you have to be willing to search for them.

I believe that life is lived for somebody. I believe that somebody lives for me. I believe that I’m the reason somebody gets up every morning. I know that there are hundreds of reasons for me to keep trying so hard. Because they’re all reasons worth fighting for. I believe that a life not lived for somebody is a life lived for nothing. This I believe.