Singing Through Life

Alexandria - Centennial, Colorado

Love. Speak. Cry. Describe. Scream. Rhythm. Sound. Dance. Music makes the world a better place. Music is me.

When I was a little girl, I use to think that singing was the only way to describe myself; a song could do all the talking for me. I was not a verbal child and was nicknamed Dopey after the character in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs because I allowed others to speak for me. When a person first meets me, they might think I am very shy; however, this characterization only lasts till they really get to know me and my musical tastes. Music has been a constant companion on the pathway to the person I have become because it has defined me.

Where mere words fall short, singing a single note can describe a feeling and singing a song can describe a life time. Music helps me momentarily escape troubling times while also serving as a calming influence when making decisions. Music relaxes me, to say the least; when drama at school hits an all time high, it’s nice to be able to sing so high that it feels like you can break all your problems just by with one note, like breaking glass. I’m one of those types of people who sing in the shower; the shower head is my audience and the shower stall is my stage.

Like a dancing ballerina ready to fly across the stage, singing allows me to fly across the sky though music and dancing along just improves the flight. One little musical beat opens the door to a magical journey that is different than anyone else’s.

Ever have a song stuck in your head, repeating over and over again? On an ordinary day I may have as many as three songs stuck in my head. Sometimes depending on my mood -it’s hip-hop and some times it’s classical. The song may not always have lyrics, but it has a beat, so I just whistle or hum along.

In the movie Pride and Prejudice- made in 2005- the character’s lives seem to revolve around the balls that are held at the homes of wealthy neighbors. Elizabeth Bennett’s life seemed to change right before her eyes during one dance to beautiful classical music. It’s said that people fall in love just by dancing; I believe it, why wouldn’t a song be able to do that?

I probably won’t have a career in music, but I will always be singing. Every time I lose my voice, it makes me so mad because I can’t sing. It’s no longer an option to live without music because I know I wouldn’t be able to do it. Who knows maybe you will hear about me some day; you’ll just have to wait and see with the rest of the world.

Without music I would just feel lost, I just would not be me.