The Ripple Effect

Peter - 80130, Colorado
Themes: science

Changing the world was no easy task twenty years ago. No blogging or internet, no MySpace or Face book. No way to easily have your opinion shared to the entire world over. Today, so many opportunities arise that exponentially increase our chances of being heard.

Technology plays a huge part in expressing your opinions through words, and music. Now, the ways to publish articles and opinionated essays have become easier and easier to view and compare. English classes are starting to send in essays to contests such as “This I believe.” MySpace and Face book pages for bands have given many up and coming artists the push they need to be discovered. Twenty years ago, none of these websites were able to connect people like they do today.

I believe in changing the world by telling anyone who will listen about my beliefs. These beliefs range from everyday philosophies such as how to get work done, and how to spend my time. Also many deeper life questions come into play, such as where we came from, and why we are here.

As a Christian, I believe that God created the world, and that He still speaks to us, and that he acts on our lives daily. These interactions shape my life, and change everything about the way I live.

So how did I get this way? After nine years of a private Christian school, I was immersed in the idea of God is your friend, and he speaks to you, but they never told me how to listen! They always told me God wanted to be my friend, and I could meet him in His word, but how? If it weren’t for the way that my parents have taught me to listen to Him, and really feel his presence, I wouldn’t have a real deep relationship with Him.

So now what? I know what I believe, that’s only the first step in changing the world. You have to know what you want different in the world before you can start thinking of how to change it. But once you know what you want to change, it becomes the driving force in your life, and you can’t stop until you accomplish whatever it is you see that needs to be different.

Not everyone is willing to change what they believe, but all beliefs start with a desire for others to hear them, and be influenced by what you say. Knowing that you changed one person’s opinion or even knowing that they considered what you had to say with an open mind is a great feeling. When these moments happen, we know that we have changed the world.