Life Will Take Its Course

Carolyn - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: carpe diem

In April of 2007, I learned that my brother, who was in college at the time, had conceived a child with his girlfriend. I took such a hard hit with this news and I really thought the worst of what was coming. I did not know what they were going to do in terms of college, money, and the baby. At first I thought my brother was evil. I used to look up to him, and now I despised him. But, as time went on, I realized any “mistake” can be turned into a miracle. My mother’s worst fear was not the money or what my brother was going to do about college, but whether or not his girlfriend was going to abort the baby, or save the baby’s life. They both decided to keep the baby and that is when my family began to worry about the money. We were already cutting down on everything from food to haircuts, and an extra three mouths to feed was not going to be an easy task. But sooner rather than later, I realized God would not put a nightmare in my life unless good would come later. Nine months after we found out about the baby, my niece was born. I now knew she deserved the right to live and the right to make what is best for her. My brother and his girlfriend are still getting off their feet, and making the best of their life.

Everyone has a purpose on this earth and deserves the chance to live their life, just as you and me. People are not put in this world to live pointless lives with no meaning. People can make the best out of their lives and it is up to them to do so. I believe a wasted life is wasted knowledge, understanding, and ideas. Lives have value and whether or not people realize this, I know it is true. You are only given one life, the life God gave you. For some people this means you are given only one chance, but not for me. With your one life you are given endless opportunities and therefore endless chances, as I learned with my brother and his girlfriend. Everyone is dealt cards from the same deck; you do not get to pick which cards are yours, and someone is always going to have a better hand than you, but it is up to you to do what you want with your cards and make the best of it.

You are given your life by God; He has a plan for you. He knows you are going to make mistakes, but He has great things in store for you. I believe when one door closes, a newer, bigger and better door opens. Maybe this new will not open right away, but it will some day soon. I believe we all have the right to live, to be loved and to think. This is what I believe.