I Believe That Everyone Is Beautiful

Erica - Centennial, Colorado

I was a strange child. I would constantly think about why things are the way they are. Most children do this, so that doesn’t make it strange. But most children also come up with the simplest answers. I didn’t. I would think about it and think about it until I lost my train of thought. I developed many rambling ideas in my head. One day I came up with the question, “Why do people think something is wrong with them?” I did what any normal child would do, I asked my mom. My mom simply said, “Nothing is wrong with you.”

When people ask me what is wrong with them, I always have the same answer, “Nothing. You are beautiful.” I don’t say this because I feel like I should act like their mom; I say this because it’s true. They all seem to think that I’m not being honest. I’m not a liar.

I was at a friend’s house over night and it was about 2 a.m. when she woke me up. I could faintly see her in the dark but her facial features began to come through as my eyes adjusted to the darkness. All of a sudden she said, “There’s a problem.” Immediately I had the worst ideas run through my mind, ‘Is the house on fire? Is she sick? Is her family okay?’ All she did was take me to the mirror and turn on the light. She asked, “What’s wrong with me?”

I didn’t understand why she would be asking this question. She was the most fun person to be around and she was a pretty girl. I found myself to be wondering what was wrong with anyone. I hadn’t thought about it since I was a kid, and now I started thinking about it again. I looked her straight in the eye and said, “Nothing.”

I didn’t say ‘nothing’ to make her feel better; I said it because it was true.

Suddenly, the thought was surrounding me. Everywhere I went I seemed to hear someone talking about what was wrong with either them or another person. Thinking about it began to consume me. I even started doubting myself for a little while. But then, I thought, what is wrong with a person being what they are?

I have always thought that people should be comfortable in their own skin. That everyone is a good person both outside and in. I have always believed that everyone is beautiful.