Both Sides of the Story

Marie - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: science

They say that technology is taking over society and we learn nothing from our experiences using them. I beg to differ.

I come from a Christian, pro-life family that goes to church every Sunday like every good believer does. The church we have been attending for years had shown us what it believes about abortion. Just before the 2008 election, I was curious about all the candidates and what they stand for. Again, my family is strictly pro-life and my parents had specifically told me that they were going to vote for the anti-abortion candidate. Based on what I have heard from them and the church, they told me to make the decision for myself. I thought about this and I decided to visit the website for a specific candidate. I read all the information, and still felt like I had gone nowhere. I thought, “ I wonder what the other candidate thinks…” in my mind. I quickly went to the opposing candidate’s website and looked at everything it had to say.

Being the curious kid that I am, I wanted to learn more. Abortion popped up in my mind again and I decided to search that next. I searched nearly every website that the search engine brought up, and then I felt like there was no accomplishment in the whole process. I thought a moment, and typed “pro-choice” into the search engine. I wasn’t on the website for very long when my mom walked in the door and asked what I was doing. “I’m learning about the election,” I said. She took a closer look at my laptop screen and asked, upset, why I was on that website in the first place when there were plenty of other “good” websites go to? Honestly, I asked myself the same question. Why was I looking at what they have to say to try and defend its side on the matter? Confused, I turned off my laptop and just sat for a long moment and thought. What is wrong with knowing your neighbor? Shouldn’t we all hear both sides of the story? Both sides of the story…

I ripped open my laptop and typed “both sides of the story” into the search engine. The first thing that showed up was a song called, “Both Sides of the Story” by Phil Collins. I read the lyrics and what really struck me was how it spoke about fighting and criticizing one another when all we need to do is set aside our differences and hear what each and every person wants to say. And do something about it. I am not here to tell you whether abortion is wrong or right; that is for you to decide. But what I hope to accomplish is to show through my words that the only way to ever fully understand your own perspective is to understand it through others’ perspectives. Because who learns anything from over abundant technology in life today anyway?