Dance is Calming and Powerful

Lily - madison, Wisconsin

I believe dance is calming and powerful. It is something that relaxes you, but in a different way then your body being relaxed. It is more of your mind being relaxed while your body is working hard. I believe dance is powerful because you can explain your emotions through your movement without using words. Dance is amazing to watch. It is such an enjoyment to take classes and perform on stage in front of everyone who enjoys watching the same art as you!

I created this belief when I was younger and my aunt signed me up for ballet classes. She signed me up because during the time, my mom was in the hospital for depression treatment and my aunt thought I needed something to do on Saturday mornings. At first I was reluctant to try, but soon I met new people. Two years later I started tap. Throughout elementary school, I ended up doing ballet and tap, but I also decided to try jazz, modern, hip hop, and then this year lyrical. At first I hated all of it but eventually I began to love it all. Ballet and tap became more fun, but I still hated jazz and hip hop the most. Modern was not my favorite thing either. Now jazz is my favorite class of the week even though I am definitely the best at ballet. I am not very good at hip hop, but it is so much fun! Modern is still not my favorite class, but the more I figure out how to get my body to move in the right way, the more I like it. Now I am at dance six days a week.

My belief came from my teachers. I switched studios the summer before fifth grade and joined the company. For a company outing, we went to see a dance production called Jazzworks which has three teachers from the studio I dance at and more from other studios. The way they danced and expressed themselves through the movement was amazing. I unfortunately can not say that I express myself in the way they do YET, but someday I believe it will come! Although all of the dancers were working hard, they seemed so relaxed and into the movement in a very calm way. It was amazing to watch and that is when I started believing that dance is calm, but very powerful in the way you can express yourself.

This is my belief because I can use it to help me dance better, but it also effects me when I need to clear my mind or just concentrate on something else. Dance is so powerful in the way that it can take my mind off of anything, even the worst of things. Dance also can cheer me up just by taking a class. I also think that dance cheers me up because of all of the people you meet. I didn’t know anybody when I first started at the studio, but after my first year most of my best friends were dance friends! The teachers are also very supportive and nice! Sometimes they can get a little angry or maybe disappointed when I don’t work very hard, but I am trying much harder because of my belief to work as hard as I can to become the best I can be!

In conclusion, dance is calming and powerful. I started out not liking dance at all, and now even the classes I am not best at, I still enjoy going. I have also found new styles of dance that I thought I would never be good at that I am not bad at and truly enjoy. From watching people in more advanced classes and seeing amazing people perform, I have realized with a lot of work and enjoyment in what you are doing, people can make the art of dance like a second world!