immigration

Stephanie - madison, Wisconsin
Themes: equality

This I believe

I believe that all people are the same. It doesn’t matter where they came from, their religion, or the color of skin. We all come together as one big family “The Earth.” I believe that no matter where you came from we are all immigrants. We all have stories of how we got here. I believe that immigrants are not bad people they come here for a better life, a better job and better education for their children. They come here for a better life for their families.

It affects me because my parents and my sisters were once immigrants but they got their residency. It also affects me because when I listen to bad things people say about immigrants, I get furious. That is because I feel like they are talking about me and my family and friends. Even though I wasn’t born in Mexico I grew up there. They act as they were bad people that don’t deserve to live. But they are wrong, immigrants are just random people like you and me. They come here in search of a better life with their families. Immigrants have to work so hard, in jobs that americans will not do because they feel that those jobs are not for them. My mom has to work in a bakery, she gets home so tired. I hate seeing her like that. They treat her so bad like she was not human. Which gets to me, I wish she could quit and not work. I would rather work for her, but her only wish is that I get good grades and that I become someone. That’s her only wish, which I’m going to make true.

My belief is in my heart and mind. When I was little I always heard my parents talking about bringing us to the America. But every time I saw them talking about that, I always saw fear in my mom’s eyes. I always wondered why? Until now that I am old enough I understand and see the dangerous things. That was because Hispanics have to go through so many dangerous things. They have to get here with the worry that they might get shot while getting here. Or so many other dangerous things that you cannot imagine. Some men go through that trouble and risk their lives to get here. They do that because of their families. That’s what keeps them going and trust that everything is going to be alright. They work so hard to send money to their families back home. Those families might depend on that money they get from those relatives that are working so much in the US. The police might arrest them and their families back home might be starving. Without the police or government not realizing what they are doing. My belief also came from my parents talking about it and from what I saw. I saw that most teenagers that get here don’t want to work or go to school. Their parents keep on pressuring them to go to school. They won’t go to school, so that’s where the gangs become their home. They feel that in a gang you can express yourself and claim places. Teenagers rely on gangs as, which they don’t realize that their life can be done in that gang they call home. One thing is that most gangs are full of Hispanics, of different heritages.

My personal experience is listening to my parents, uncles, and aunts. They are always talking about how difficult it is to get here. Their fearful of what it’s going on at the border. I feel as if I was so lucky to have been born here because I did not have to go through the dangerous border crossing. Another experience that is not mine but is my cousin’s. He is a gang member because his mom died when he was young. My uncle did not like him. So for him it was as if he was homeless. He found a place in a gang. He felt that those other teenagers had problems just like his. He decided to join for protection and being part of a group. That is one of those problems that are caused by immigration. They feel as if they don’t belong anywhere, so a gang is their home.

I would like for all americans to see what people have to go through to immigrate across the Mexican border. It’s sad for me to think these immigrants risk their lives to cross the border only to have to deal with abuse and harassment here. My parents brought my sisters and I here to have a better education. They say that here you have a better chance to become someone. I’d like to make that thought true. This I believe that immigration is not a bad thing.