I Believe In Being King To Others

Amber - Bethpage, Tennessee

I Believe In Being Kind To Others

When I was a little girl in elementary school, I always got picked on. No matter how hard I tried to fit in, it never worked. My parents could not afford to buy me name brand clothes from the mall and my hair was naturally curly so it was never too stylish. To make matters even worse I had gigantic glasses that covered my whole face. I was an outcast. I got looked at differently by everyone. Especially the popular kids. They gave me looks like I was from a different planet. I eventually gave up on fitting in anywhere. I just hung out by myself.

When we had recess, I stood on the edge of the playground and watched everyone else have fun with their friends. No one ever paid any attention to me. They just kept playing like nothing was wrong. I don’t think that anyone would have even noticed if I had tears running down my cheeks. When I was noticed by anyone it was because they wanted someone to make fun of. They called me ugly, fat, and all kinds of other names. I don’t know how I ever made it through elementary school but I am thankful that I did.

I then started middle school. It was no better. I still did not fit in with anyone. I couldn’t even make myself fit in with the normal kids or the nerds. The only people that would talk to me were the few that felt sorry for me and wanted to try to make me feel better. A lot of people made fun of me behind my back. They would talk about how I didn‘t know how to match my clothes and how they would not be caught dead in what I was wearing. Did they know that my family was poor and could only afford to buy me Wal-mart clothes? Did they even care? Sometimes people would say stuff that would really hurt my feelings. They would also brag about all of the new stuff that they got from the mall because they knew that I would never be able to afford to buy clothes from American Eagle or Hollister. Slowly my horrible years of middle school ended.

When I got into high school I made a few friends that actually liked me for me. They didn’t judge me near as much as the kids in middle school did and they didn’t make fun of me. I could go to school without having to worry everyday about what people would think about my outfit, although I was still wearing the same cheap outfits as I had in elementary and middle school. There were still a few of the popular kids that would make fun of people for what they were wearing, but not many. Many people didn’t even pay attention to what other people wore. It didn’t matter to them at all. I felt a lot more comfortable in high school than I had in any of my other schools.

One friend that I made my freshman year of high school was named Magon. She was one person that would not judge anyone. When I first went to high school she noticed that I looked really lonely so she came up to me and started to ask me how my day was going. She then introduced me to some of her friends and let me hang out with them. She made me feel like I had found a group that I fit into. We then stayed close friends all the way up until the day we graduated.

During my second year of high school, I was friends with everyone. No I didn’t fit in perfectly but everyone was nice to me. About a week into school I started noticing kids sitting in the hall alone. Most of these kids were freshmen who didn’t fit in. Seeing them reminded me of my previous years in school and how I was the one that always got picked on. I didn’t want them to go through the same thing that I had to. I knew how it felt to not fit in and to feel like an outcast. I knew how badly it hurt. I also knew that I had to do something to help them. I decided to be kind to everyone like Magon was kind to me.

One day while I was riding the bus to school I noticed a boy that was sitting by himself. He had rode the bus many times before but I had never paid any attention to him. On this particular day I made the decision to go up to the boy and ask if I could sit with him. When I asked him he moved his stuff but he didn’t say much. While I sat with him on the bus I noticed that he had his music really loud and he kept staring out the window as though he really didn‘t want to be there. I tried my best to start a conversation with him but it didn’t work. He did tell me that his name was Alex and that he was in the eleventh grade but that is about all he said. From that day on, I always sat on the bus with Alex. And after a while we became best friends. We even started hanging out at school.

Now if I ever notice that someone looks lonely I always stop to talk to them or just wave at them. The smile on their faces brightens my day because I know that I have made them feel accepted. I have met a lot of great people and actually made some really good friends by just saying hi to them. By just being kind to someone you can make someone very happy. This is why I believe in being kind to others no matter what.