I Believe People Can Learn a Lot from Their Mothers

Alexandra - Ithaca, New York
Themes: family, gratitude

I believe people can learn a lot from their mothers. My mother is the most endearing woman I have ever met. She has an innate love for people, nature, and all the universe has to offer. Her vibrant personality and positive outlook on life is enough to make anyone smile. I’ll never forget waking up every morning for school with the sound of blaring music from either a Broadway show or a movie soundtrack. She would come into my room singing and attempt to drag me out of bed. To this day I can count on walking into my house hearing music being played and she will surely be singing along.

My mother is certainly not one to hide or suppress her personality. On my 13th birthday she happened to be the substitute secretary for my school. Sometime during that day my mother took it upon herself to come on the loud speaker and sing happy birthday to me like Marilyn Monroe sang to John F. Kennedy for his birthday. I guess I forgot to mention she is an avid Marilyn Monroe fan. At that time in my life, I don’t think I had ever been so embarrassed.

Looking back on that event now, I admire my mother and her fearlessness to be herself and display how much she loves me. I never thought I would get over that moment of embarrassment. Now, I thank her for it. She taught me that being yourself and standing up for what you believe in builds character and makes you who you are. Her enormous expression of love that day showed me that it is ok to openly express how much you love and care about someone and that you should do so whenever you get the chance.

She continued to show this same compassion for my father as he suffered through a terrible illness for two years. She took care of him through thick and thin and at times sacrificed her own health so she could help keep him well. On June 6, 2008 my father passed away. No matter what my family goes through my mother stands firm in her optimism and keeps our family afloat. Her amazing ability to think positively about everything is proof to me that no matter how bad things seem, there is always something to be thankful for. There is always beauty in our world. Her appreciation for the earth and all it is made up of has been transmitted down into me and I will carry it with me for all of my life. When I am having a bad day, she always asks me to tell her one thing I am thankful for. I am thankful for her everyday.