Joel - Cypress, Texas

All humans are each other’s equal, in terms of the soul, or the “true self” obscured by the pressures and aesthetic nature of modern society. I maintain the belief that no one person is or has the right to be considered greater than another, whether this is justified by objective means or not. While some may be born with different levels of opportunity, alternate characters, and in some cases, dispositions, none of the above occurs without reason. Lessons are to be learned by life on earth, but all souls have a different purpose for existence. As all humans are interconnected, and purposes are intertwined, we all remain not above or below one another, but on precisely the same plane.

I first began realizing the former when I discovered that almost always, my presumptions concerning a “lesser” person were not only unjustified, but selfish, arrogant, and incorrect. At the same time I learned of the stupidity of preconceived notions, I also witnessed weakness in those I considered great people. Those I had always looked up to had flaws, insecurities, unbearable pains within themselves– their lives were crashing down upon them behind closed doors. The very moment I walked through these doors, I saw the great in ruins while recalling the hidden beauty within those labeled “lowly”. Life tests all, I learned. No one is favored over another, no one is less or greater than another. In terms of worth or importance, no disparity exists between two souls on this planet.

In my mind this philosophy signifies the way one should consider and act upon another. If all people could transcend prejudices, preconceptions, principles of favoritism, and other incredibly primitive and thoughtless judgments, the need for the rule of one or some over others would cease to exist. Although in the modern context it remains incomprehensible, a society governed by this thought would not require government. It is incredible to imagine what all people in the world united could accomplish if it were not for the creation of such easily avoidable barriers between them. I have trouble expressing the disbelief that so many are building needless and unnatural walls between each other, all because of fear concerning difference or change. Collectively, all people should embrace their uniqueness and distinction from one another, instead of taking sides or building walls against or between each other.

Since man first encountered himself, his history has been marked by fear and strife, within his own species. It almost seems ridiculous, from this point of view, that even with thousands of years of “civilization”, man still fears his own brothers and regards them not as equals. I can not understand why such a phenomenon occurs, but I do not doubt man’s potential to overcome it. If mankind can move such a weighty obstacle from its path, the experience gained from such a revelatory moment will certainly afford it the strength needed to pursue the rest of the path in its entirety.