Changes

Nick - Sammamish, Washington
Themes: change

I believe that the only thing you can expect in life is change. Since a very young age, my mom always told me that, “change is good”. When change comes my way, I decide to take the path it takes me on because I know that I will always be alright. If I try to resist change, it will sneak up on me no matter what and that’s the only time I ever lose. There have been many instances in my life where things have happened that I never planned. All change is good, but some of it is hard to cope with. One of the largest changes in my life was when my family decided to move from Minnesota to Washington.

We had had a tough year; we began with my grandpa dying in January from a sudden heart attack. This was the first biggest change in my life. I couldn’t have predicted that this was going to happen; it wasn’t in my life plans. I always thought that the people I loved would always be there, but then again they have to move on too. At the time, I couldn’t understand why this was happening, but I knew there was nothing anybody could do about it, so I let it go.

Two months had gone by and everything was fine, I had turned eight years old and my grandpa’s death was a distant memory. My mom was run down, my great uncle had died a month after my grandpa and it was taking a toll on my mom’s body. She was diagnosed that March with Mononucleosis, a blood disease that can only be cured through enough sleep and relaxation. For the first time in my life I couldn’t depend on my mom to be there for me. I had to help make dinner, clean up and do other chores around the house that my mom would normally be doing for me. I suddenly had an appreciation for all the things my mom did for me and I knew she appreciated my understanding.

In May of that year, after my dad’s cousin got married, my dad and mom wanted to have a “family discussion” with us. My brother and I usually hated these discussions because it had to do with things that we did wrong that the neighbors had caught us doing or talking about things like making sure we look both ways before crossing the street. This discussion was different, my mom and dad told us to sit down with them and they looked nervous, anxious and uneasy.

We started out by talking about my dad’s job. Dad was always gone on business trips and they only time either my brother or I ever saw him was on the weekends. “I really miss being a part of your lives’,” my dad said. My brother and I just kept looking at him, which was probably as close as we could get to saying that we agreed. My dad realized this was the best moment to break the news. “I got a job offer,” he said, “I will be able to work at home and spend more time with you guys,” he said, looking at both of us. “There’s just one thing, it’s in Seattle.”

We moved that August, leaving all that I ever knew, my friends and my extended family. All I had left was my memories and family. School was delayed three weeks that year because of a teacher’s strike. We had met our neighbors and all was good except they weren’t people I would exactly consider “friends”. The first day of school was the beginning of what would be the worst school year of my life. To the kids I was different and I didn’t fit in. On numerous occasions I would be that kid sitting alone on the playground, with no one to come and ask if I wanted to play a game of football or soccer.

All the more I kept regretting that change, the more I learned about life. People don’t always treat people right, but then I have to remember that I would be a hypocrite if I said I wasn’t like that. Luckily, I eventually found my happiness. I met friends and began to fit in with the people that surrounded me. The world is always changing, and as much as I sometimes wish I could, I can’t do a thing about it. I do know however, that when change comes, it is always for the better.