Discipline Helps

Malcolm - Fair Oaks, California
Themes: parenthood

I believe that a hard hand makes a soft behind. The reason I believe this is because with out discipline you just wouldn’t know the limitations of your boundaries so it’s good because it helps prepare you more. Now when I say discipline, I don’t literally mean a spanking. This is not a debate on spanking a child, it’s a metaphor for having a hard hand in this generation to show others the more mental and not physical way of having their own conduct of development.

A story that helps highlight this belief is when I disobeyed my mom when I was younger. When I was 11 years old, I brought my friends in the house when my mom said don’t bring anyone in the house while there’s no one home and she has a big deal about it because something could happen and she’d be at fault. Well I thought I was slick and cool with it because no one was home so I thought that it’d be ok. We were just eating chips and drinking soda and watching TV. So its broad daylight and my friends Daniel, Adam, Kelly and Sarah are all sitting on the couch and I heard a car pull up I look out the window its my mom but she’s supposed to be at work. I made everybody run out the backdoor and on the side of the house. My mom comes in the house and asked where my friends were and I told her they were outside somewhere and then she was like, “then why did the neighbors call me and say there were people in the house?” man I was like, dam…I’m in trouble I felt really dumb. I didn’t even know my neighbors saw me.

The discipline I got for that, was all bad. I got in so much trouble for all that. But you would learn from your mistakes. I had to clean the house up by myself, I was grounded and I had gotten the worst whooping ever. A hard head makes a soft behind. I believe that discipline helps.