The Power of Friendship

Elizabeth - Johnstown, Ohio

Unlike many other beliefs, mine is not traumatic, but it is certainly life changing. One of the things I never even realized that makes life so much better and helps me get through has helped shape one of my beliefs. A best friend is someone to share secrets with, give and receive advice from, a shoulder to cry on, and that person that is also there through all of the good times. I believe that no one should go through life without the support of a best friend.

There is no relationship quite like the one that best friends share. A best friend is someone that can be trusted with anything. The neat thing about it is that almost everyone can relate to this relationship. Whether it be a deep dark secret, or counting on them for the best advice with problems, a best friend is always there. This person is there through boyfriend problems, fights with parents, and those “bad days”. Acquaintances may come and go, and even really good friends pass through our lives, but best friends are there until the end. This experience helped me to understand what true friends do for each other and also made my life so much more enjoyable, always having someone there by my side while conquering life.

Little did I know, the day I was born my belief had started to form without me even being aware of it. My cousin Abby, who is only three months older than me would become my best friend for the rest of my life. We grew up going to dance lessons, sleeping over at grandmas, and playing sports together. We attended the same elementary school and unlike many other children, going to my first day of kindergarten was a breeze because my best friend was there with me. As time went by we remained close and almost everything one of us became involved in, the other followed. Often times we felt like we could read each others minds because we were together so often.

After high school graduation, we parted ways. I chose to go away for school, but Abby stayed home. It became much harder than we imagined to stay in touch. The random phone calls and visits began to decrease as we both became consumed in our new lives. After our freshman year had ended and I moved back home for the summer, I realized how much I missed home, along with my family and friends. I had made plenty of new friends at school, but it was not the same. I decided that a move back home would let me see my friends and family everyday and be the right thing for me.

Having a co-pilot through life makes the ride so much better. I believe that no one should have to experience it any other way. My best friend has helped shape the person I have become and also the other beliefs that I hold. Best friends are irreplaceable. Find one, hold on to them, and never let them go.