I Believe Hard Work Pays Off

Zhanna - North Highlands, California
Themes: work

Belief: Hard Work Pays Off

When I was a child, I remember my mother’s warm hands serving me meals. I remember her graceful face, smiling down at me, as she helped me with my homework. And I still remember my mother’s soft voice telling me to come inside because it’s too cold outside. Now I can just sit and daydream and wish I could still live that life. The life where I had no worries– my parents would take care of me. When I grew up things changed. I learned what fear and anxiety were, but more importantly, I had to learn how to make it on my own. It was very difficult. I had to start from the back door and work my way in. Struggling between work and school, life was never a piece of cake anymore. As a result, I came to believe that hard work pays off.

When I turned eighteen, I made a big mistake of moving out of my parent’s house. My happiness and freedom didn’t last long, when bills started to pop up. Luckily, I had a job. At times I would hit rock bottom, when my boss would cut hours or when business was slow so I didn’t work a full shift. With all the issues at work, my life was a challenge. However, as I started to move up with my job, I also started to progress with my goals in life. At the time, I had a good friend that persuaded me to go to college. College was very hard and stressful for me. Now that I’m in college, I have an educational objective. I plan to transfer to a four year college with a degree in business or human resources. In college, I basically have no social life, due to a full schedule. On the other hand, I see light at the end of the tunnel. I am very fortunate to be on my feet, even with all the beautiful bills each month.

Struggling to make it was a challenge. I have learned from my mistakes, like moving out of my parent’s house. I also, have learned self discipline and can balance a tight schedule. Therefore, I came to believe that hard work pays off.