Unsaid Good-Byes

Sarah - woodland park, Colorado
Themes: setbacks

I believe that you should never miss an opportunity to let someone know how much you care about them. You never know when you’ll see that person again and it would be terrible to let them go on without ever knowing of how much you cared for them. You never know if you’ll get that one last good-bye and then live your life regretting that you never reminded them of how important they are to you. I believe that you can never remind a person enough of how much you love them and need them in your life.

When I was seven years old my grandma Price, who was my daddy’s mom, died. I was very close to my grandma and loved her dearly; she was one of my best friends and a person I looked up to whenever I got to see her. I remember going down to the hospital in Texas to visit her because my parents knew of her medical condition. The next few days were a blur of hospital waiting rooms, doctors, and family gatherings. My parents never explained to me then why it was my grandma Price was dying; only that she was really sick and that this was going to be our good-bye. I never got to say good-bye to her though because the doctors wouldn’t let me go back into the room because they were afraid that I would get scared form all the machines she was hooked up to. After a few minutes my dad walked out of the room crying and saying that grandma Price was taken of the machines and was gone. A few days later we all went to her funeral, but I don’t think the situation had really hit me and my brother Zach yet, we just played around at the funeral and acted like nothing had happened. With our departure from Texas the memories of my grandmother stayed there along with all the unsaid good-byes and sadness.

To this day I regret never getting to say good-bye and to let her know how much I dearly loved her. This is why I never miss the chance to let someone know how much they mean to me and everyday I try to tell the people who mean most to me how much I care about and love them. I will never again have to regret not getting to say that one beloved good-bye.