This I Believe…Karma

Sarah - Peoria, Arizona

Karma is the spiritual law of cause and effect. Some religions of the world base their teachings on Karma as a method to promote their philosophical values. I believe Karma exists outside of religion and is connected to the universe at large. I believe that no one does anything in their life that is not returned to them, whether it is reward or retribution.

There was a time when I was walking through the parking lot at work, glanced down at the ground and something caught my eye. Like most people I didn’t want to stop and look too closely and look “stupid” by stopping and taking a really close look. I didn’t want to appear as if I was a gold digger and looking for the misfortunate loss of others and gain by their loss. Something pulled me back and wouldn’t allow me to continue on my path to the front door. I could have ignored it and gone but felt a tug. I consciously chose to turn back around and look more closely. To my surprised, it was a diamond earring! Someone had lost an earring! It was a gold hoop with 4-6 small diamonds. I could have easily tucked it in my pocket and gone on to work. It would have been simple to take the earring to a pawn shop and earn some quick cash, melt it down for the gold or even take the diamonds out and have them reset into a nice piece of jewelry. I didn’t have to think twice. I went inside the building and went directly to the security office and turned over the earring, reporting it as found.

Karma comes in nearly three years later. I recently lost my earring at work! I don’t often touch my ears while at work…. Who does!!! But this one morning for some reason I did. I felt I was missing an earring. First thing I did was search my immediate area. No luck…nothing was found. I attracted the attention of my co-workers and explained the situation. Everyone had their own theory, look inside your clothes, and check your purse. The next thing I did was call home. I reached my dad and asked him to check my jewelry box to see if I had actually only worn one earring that day. He couldn’t find it. I then began to panic. I contacted our building communication specialist who sent out an email to over 800 associates of “LOST DIAMOND EARING”! My coworkers and I then began to comb the building. Of all days, I had visited many different departments that day that I rarely visit. We spent quite some time looking before one of my friends told me to go back to my car and search. Exasperated I decided to take her advice. I walked to the security office first and asked if an earring had been turned in and showed them the one I was wearing. They searched their files and the cabinet where they keep found items and there was nothing.

I gloomily walked away and began to trace my steps from the door to my car. By doing this I had to really think of where I was, where did I park, and which path did I take to the door. I had been walking through the same parking lot for over a year and never parked in the same place two days in a row. As I walked the parking lot I scanned the ground in hope of finding the earring. I became very discouraged after circling what I thought was my path that morning several times. I decided it was no use and began the walk back to the door. Just then, something caught my eye. I though it was a regular black rock as it did not and could not be the earring. I actually spoke out loud “that could not be my earring, could it?” It was!! I found my earring. I leaned over to pick it up and sure enough! It was my earring. It had been run over by a car, but barely had any damage. All the diamonds were intact, just the clasp was badly twisted, but still intact.

This was truly my karma. I believe that because I turned in someone else earring a few years ago, I was led back to my own.