Helping Cancer Victims a Little Bit at a Time

Casey - Brookings, South Dakota

In elementary school, my physical education teacher had to quit because she was diagnosed with cancer. A few months later I saw her after she had undergone chemotherapy, and she had lost all her hair. That made me think of all the little girls who have gone through the same thing. They might be embarrassed by being bald and want to wear a wig. Then I found out about an organization called Locks of Love. I believe that everyone who wears their hair long should donate to Locks of Love at least once in their life.

Locks of Love creates wigs out of real hair for girls who have lost their hair due to cancer treatment. It helps the girls feel more secure about themselves. They already have to go through so many traumas and treatments due to their cancer that they shouldn’t have the additional discomfort or embarrassment of having to go bald or wear an ugly or ill fitting wig. That is why I have donated my hair to Locks of Love three times.

In order to donate my hair, I had to cut off at least ten inches. The first time I donated my hair I was in sixth grade, and I cried at first. I was so used to having long hair, and I thought it looked much better before I cut it. It was worthwhile though when I realized I could always grow my hair back, but the cancer victims needed that hair nowTwo years later I decided to donate my hair again. Afterwards, I decided I had spent enough time growing out my hair to donate it, and I wouldn’t do it again. The summer before my senior year I proved myself wrong. I went into the beauty parlor for a trim and realized my hair was long enough to donate. I thought about the little girls in need of a wig and the obvious solution was to go ahead and give my hair to Locks of Love.

I am planning on donating my hair a fourth time in just a few months when it grows just a little longer. I’ve grown mature enough that I no longer find getting my hair cut to be emotionally traumatic. I’m no longer selfish enough to think that having my hair fall halfway down my back is worth making Locks of Love have less material to make wigs with. When I donate my hair, I feel like I am doing the right thing.

Donating my hair has inspired three younger girls I know to donate their hair as well. Together the four of us have donated enough hair for about half of a wig. That doesn’t seem like a lot but one little girl will get her wig that much faster because of us. That is why I believe that everyone who has the opportunity to donate their hair to Locks of Love should go on and do the right thing; I did.