I Believe Bad Teachers should Not teach

Rachel - Elgin, Illinois

I believe bad teachers should not teach. When people become teachers it is because they want to share their wealth of knowledge with children, pre-teens, and teenagers. But then there are a few who pick a major in college such as Spanish, English, or Math, and feel the only thing they can do with this major is teach. This does not mean they like students or actually want to be a teacher.

What makes a bad teacher a bad teacher, is that he doesn’t like students or doesn’t want to be at school that he thinks the only way to gain power over his students is to be mean, and the only thing he likes about his job is the subject he is supposed to teach; he does not actually enjoy teaching it to other people.

The type of teacher a student has can make or break a class. If the teacher comes to class happy and ready to help children learn, that teacher’s students will thrive in that subject. But if the teacher comes into class morose and gloomy everyday that teachers students will not learn as much because they are not engaged in that class, only the over- achievers would get something out of that class, because over-achievers always try to get everything they can out of a class, therefore it wouldn’t matter who taught the class because overachievers’ kind of teach themselves they subject. But then if the students have a bad teacher and they are loud and out-spoken, they don’t learn anything and they in a sense control the class. Because every time they speak the teacher has to stop them and tell them to be quiet, and if this happens continually throughout the class then there goes the class.

When a student has to sit through fifty, forty-five, or even sixty minutes a day with someone just giving a dry lecture about the Ancient Egyptian form of government, with a very monotone teacher, people might say “We all have to go through it.” Well, I believe we don’t. Instead of a dry lecture maybe a good teacher could have his/her students act out the Ancient Egyptian government. I believe that the students would get much more information out of that class than hearing a lecture, I bet they wouldn’t fall asleep either.

Teachers need to teach to their full potential. If teachers don’t teach to their full potential, then they won’t be doing their job, and they will be sending students out of their classroom with not all the knowledge that they should have. And when those students go to another teacher and that teacher says “Didn’t you guys learn that last year?” Well no those kids didn’t because their last teacher decided that they didn’t feel like it and gave up. If teachers don’t teach to their full potential, then they will be sending children, who turn into teenagers, then to adults, out into the world and one day might become leaders of bank, but because their second grade teacher didn’t really like their job, he or she never taught that bank leader how to subtract. So now that bank in is a huge amount of debt because he never subtracted the money he owed people from the total sum and the bank is collapsing sending the entire country into a recession.

So I say, teachers band together and teach your students. Wake up happy and ready to share all your knowledge with them. Don’t make your lessons boring, make them interactive and interesting, then go home that night knowing your students learned everything the possibly could in your class. All bad teachers can be good teachers, they just have to want to teach.