The Power of Style

Shea - Bardstown, Kentucky

Black fingernail polish, dark hair dye, dark clothes, shoes, and make-up. Do these things make us stereotype people as so-called gothic? People say wearing dark colors make you look slimming and healthy. So why do people automatically think we as teens are gothic when we darken our hair or paint our nails black? I have once judged a person for the same reason, until I started to fall into this trend myself. Why is it that we as humans are so quick to judge others when we don’t like it when people do it to us? Coming from a small town can be good and bad, some people judge my high school because we are a private school and we pay for our education. My school is strict and we wear uniforms, but just because girls wear skirts, people criticize us. I do not know about you but I think that is wrong. I believe style and how people present themselves can show ones true character.

Just because people choose to define themselves by wearing dark colors, it does not mean they are gothic in any way. Being gothic is a whole different concept besides just wearing dark clothes. Sometimes looks can be deceiving but it does not mean that they are not a good person. As individuals we don’t like it when people talk negative about us or try to shoot us down in some way. Why can’t people talk about something else instead of comparing themselves to a person just to make them feel better?

I wore dark grayish-black jeans and a dark green sweater to a school event one time, with a cross necklace that happened to be black. I have never had so many people ask me the same question repeatedly like they did at this time. “Oh my gosh Shea! Are you turning gothic?” My point is not to judge people by one first look on their appearance. Everyone has insecurities, and don’t have to go around raining on every ones parade just trying to make ourselves feel better. I believe the power of style brings out ones individual personality and confidence, so try and change up your wardrobe a little and express yourself.