I believe in the power of hope.

Chelsey - Bardstown, Kentucky
Themes: hope

I believe in the power of hope. It enables you to realize things beyond your imagination. It takes you to a place that gives you that little sense of belief. It almost lets you know that everything is going to be okay. We must have hope to be able to go on and deal with the blows life deals us. I believe that hope is something that gets people through some of their worse situations. My biggest challenge and test of hope came in July of 2003.

My Aunt Trish was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time. This is when my hope really kicked in. She was diagnosed with metastasis breast cancer to the liver and bone; a diagnosis so severe that we were afraid she had only months left. My aunt had enough hope and faith for everyone around her. She was so full of life and happiness it was contagious. There was no way she was going to let any of us give up on her. She often said she could feel the hope and prayers of others giving her strength and energy.

Hope is a wonderful thing to have and it is actually a necessity. Without hope how are we supposed to continue on? I learned from my aunt that regardless how bleak things look, we have to get up and go on. There were times when my hope for her would start to fade. It was almost hard not too. Then I realized that wasn’t fair to her. If she could still hope and live her life to the fullest then who was I to give up?

We all had our hope for Trish to get well. Sadly, that didn’t happen. Yet, I learned a different meaning for hope. Trish was ready and prepared for death and that was because of her hope and belief that she was going to her final home in heaven. I know now that no matter the situation that if I just have that little bit of hope it will work out okay. As George Weinberg said, “Hope never abandons you, you abandon it.”