I Believe

Katie - bardstown, Kentucky

I Believe

I believe you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. When I’m in the library and searching for a book, the first thing I look at is the cover. That’s just the way I look for the book, by how it jumps out at me with its characteristics on the front. If it’s boring and not exciting looking I don’t even bother reading the summary of what it’s about. Instead I look at the books that are more colorful and look uplifting with the graphics it has on it. I have learned that isn’t the way to go. It’s just the same way with people too.

When I first came to Bethlehem High School, I thought it was just going to be a school of preppy girls who only cared about themselves just because it was a Catholic school which you had to pay a tuition to go to. So I had that in my head and wasn’t going to make an attempt to be friends with those kinds of people so I wouldn’t have to deal with the meaness. I know that’s not a great attitude when going into a new school, but I was just scared.

I was on the soccer team during the summer for conditioning before school started, so I had a chance to meet people and get to know them. There was just this group of girls that I thought I wouldn’t get along with. I made every attempt to not get around them. Then the day came where I was put in a group with them! I didn’t say much, which wasn’t me at all. Then they started talking with me which changed everything.

These girls were the nicest group of girls on the team. This made me feel pretty bad for judging them and focusing on what they looked like to how they would act. Now those girls are my best friends who I spend every minute with! So that was a mistake that I learned from and know not to judge people no matter what. I hope that people won’t do the same thing to me as I used to do to others. You might miss out on meeting some pretty good friends.