Differences Among Us

Brian - denver, Colorado
Themes: war

I believe that war causes many unfair stereotypes between opposing nations who are on different sides. I remember when we went to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington DC on a family trip. We stopped by the World War Two exhibit and there we met a Japanese tourist who told us about his dad’s story during World War Two. His dad worked in a weapons plant in Tokyo during the war. The day that Tokyo was bombed by the Americans happened to be the day that the tourist’s dad called in sick. If he went to work that day, the man at the Smithsonian wouldn’t have been there talking to us. The workers at that plant didn’t necessarily want to work there, more likely they were forced to work.

During World War Two the government put many Japanese Americans into internment camps because they were on the enemy side. Even today people stereotype people of Middle-Eastern descent as being enemies of America. We should stop this stereotyping of people, because some of them get dragged into the wars without any freedom to refuse to go. Some nations around the world don’t have as many freedoms as Americans have every day, one of them being to decide if they want to go to war or not. The Japanese were taught to hate America during World War Two and many of them didn’t know the real Americans. War is a horrible thing to have to go through, but it makes war all the more unbearable when people prosecute you for being of a certain race or from a certain region of the world. The saying “Don’t judge a book by the cover” is a perfect example of not judging a person by the country they come from, but what they’re like as a person. Don’t stereotype, but instead embrace other people’s culture, even if there is a war going on.

We as a people can overcome differences among us. It is possible to be a friendly nation at the same time a country is at war. Learn about a group of people before taking action that can escalate into fighting or death. Take some time to try to learn the other side of the story, because it can be that others have it harder than you. I wouldn’t want to be judged by the people on the other side of the war.