Heroes

Austin - Bardstown, Kentucky

I believe in heroes. In today’s society people tend to refer to many people as heroes. Most of the time people say heroes are pro basketball or football players that play on their favorite team. People even say that movie stars and singers are heroes. But some people don’t believe that sports figures or super stars are heroes, and I am one of those people.

In my eyes, I classify someone as a hero who has stood up in the face of danger, risking their life for what they believe in or to save someone else’s life. I say the men and women in our military, firefighters, and police officers are heroes, not movie stars or pro sports players. The real heroes are the people who protect our homes and defend our freedom. Without that freedom we wouldn’t be allowed to play the sports we wanted or watch what we wanted to watch. Freedom doesn’t come free, and the people throughout history who have stood up and defended that freedom are the real heroes.

On September 11, 2001 our country was attacked. Terrorists flew commercial planes into the World Trade Centers, The Pentagon, and an open field in Pennsylvania. On that day, many people became heroes; from police officers and firefighters, to the normal citizens who were just going to work to provide for their families. On that day, our nation’s leaders were tested. The men and women who ran into the twin towers to save the lives of the innocent people who were dying are heroes. The firefighters and police officers who went into the second tower even after the first tower had fallen are heroes. These people didn’t do this for money or for the fame; they did it because they were compelled to help another and because it was the right thing to do.

Because of this attack on our nation, our military was sent in to take out the terrorists. My personal hero is my cousin Sean. He was affected by this because he is in the United Stated Air Force and was shipped over seas for a year. He has been there for four months and has about nine months to go. I have always looked up to him, and especially now, more than ever. I hope to follow in his footsteps one day and defend this country, our home.

I believe there is a hero in all of us and that heroes are not born, heroes are made. All we need is a good push to bring it out. Heroes can be brought out in all types of situations; from having your country being attacked and risking your life to save another to helping someone in need. We all need a hero one day, and on that day one of these real heroes will rise to the challenge.