I Believe in Texting in Class

Paige - bardstown, Kentucky

Just as every other ordinary teenager, I believe in texting in class. As I begin to doze off in social studies, or start to get bored in algebra, I try to find someone to text; it keeps me awake and anxious. Most teachers are oblivious, even though most people make it quite obvious that they are texting, like sticking their hand in their purse, or putting their phone to their side, but I guess some people are slicker than others.

I don’t really understand why teachers hate when students text. It isn’t their phone bill, and it isn’t that big of a distraction unless their phone isn’t on silent and they are making it a big deal. Texting to me is like cat food to a cat: astonishing. There honestly isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t text in class. Even though physiotherapists have decided, the repetitive movements involved in texting on a cellular device can cause injuries to the hands, wrist and arms, I still do it.

The day I was caught texting in class was one of the scariest days ever. I never thought I was going to get my phone back, but luckily my dad came up and got it for me. Ever since I got caught I have tried my best to be more slick. I try not to make it obvious that I am texting and I am obviously doing well because I haven’t got caught since. Honestly if texting were that big of a distraction, I think I would have already been caught numerous times.

I actually do agree that no one gets any benefit out of texting except socially. Its not very good for your eyes, it hurts your thumbs and you always get irritated when the person you text doesn’t text you back. I don’t really see why schools have the rule that cell phones are not allowed. Whenever we have them, were not bringing them out and talking on them, students are simply texting and not making any distraction to any other being.

So I wish the board of education would take my ‘I believe’ statement into consideration and allow texting in school. Texting in school would make every students school life easier and keep a few of us out of the trouble that we get into.