The Power of Laughter

Celeste - Portland, Oregon

People sometimes underestimate the power of what a simple laugh can bring, but I believe that everyone should laugh every day. The thing that a laugh can do is heal, distract, brighten, or simply humor you. You don’t realize that power until you have it.

One of the first human things you learn when you are a baby is laughing. When I laughed and smiled for the first time, my parents took a picture right away, and I still have that picture to this day. It created memories that me and my family can share for a very long time, and even now, whenever I pull out that picture, I start laughing, and think about how I was so little, and so happy, and don’t remember it, but that feeling of laughter has stayed with me.

During the down days of my parent’s divorce when I was 11, the two things that kept me going was my friends, and the way they influenced me during that rough patch. My parents broke the news to me and my sister on the day of Halloween that year. I ruined me, and I felt like I was about to fall apart. I would always run over to my best friend’s houses for comfort. The first thing they would do is get me to see the good in the situation, and say something funny, forcing me to laugh, even if it was for only two seconds. A couple days later, I forgot about the sad times, and thought about the good. My friends had got me laughing again.

This past May, I joined the Beaverton High School Rhythm B’s, the dance/drill team at my school. I was going to be a sophomore surrounded by upperclassmen, but the other 18 girls on the line made me feel so at home. They were so nice, and funny, and I had a lot more in common with them when I started talking and laughing with them. I felt like I had a real connection with the other girls. They were making me laugh just like my best friends did. So far this year, I’ve become more dedicated, silly, and overall, happy. The Rhythm B’s perform at some school assemblies, and all home football and basketball games. Whenever somebody messes up on a certain move, after the performance, they always get upset and angry that it wasn’t a stellar performance as they had hoped. But all it takes is a quick joke, usually about picturing everybody messing up at the same, which puts a smile on their face and laugh from their voice. It always makes them feel better about themselves, and it makes me feel better because I made that happen.

I believe that laughing heals the soul, and brightens your day. It always makes me feel better about myself, and I feel closer to the person who helped cheer me up. No matter what happens, I know that I can always look at the positive times, and just simply laugh.