Drinking changes us for the worse

Laura - Citrus Heiths, California
Themes: addiction

I believe that drinking can destroy the people around you and the people that love you. My father is an alcoholic but he doesn’t want to admit that he has a problem with alcohol. Even though he does not live with me or in the USA I’m always in touch with my sister and with him. I have been trying to help him quit drinking but he always has an excuse and a smart answer so I finally gave up on him.

I really don’t remember my age, but I was really young when my father started drinking and I didn’t like it because he acted a little crazy. He never hit us, or hit my mother. I remember one time that he got a pistol, and tried to kill himself in front of me. I was shocked, I didn’t understand what was happening, my mother tried to take the gun away from my dad and she told me to get out of the room so I ran outside the house confused, and crying. I remember myself hugging, rocking and crying, I didn’t want to make any noise so I just let my tears come down , I was very afraid to make any noise, I didn’t want to disturb anybody. It seems that a long time passed because I remember that my mother came looking for me and tucked me in bed. This was my first dreadful night for me. I didn’t understand what was happening why my dad was acting like a mad man.

I started to notice that my dad always got drunk on Saturdays, and at parties. When he kept drinking I started to have a bad feeling so I always kept an eye on him. I never fear for my life because I knew that my dad wouldn’t hurt us, I was mostly afraid that he will hurt himself. My dad keeps drinking and is getting worst, he gets so drunk that he falls and cannot get up, my sister has to go and pick him up from the streets and is not fun because even though my dad is not aggressive man when he is drunk, he likes to hit verbally and that hurts more than a punch. He is so stubborn and macho that is hard to get thru him so I told my sister that we better take him to a private clinic for rehabilitation or brace ourselves because one of these days we’re going to find him dead.

Drinking is not good for you Specially if you make it a habit and it doesn’t matter if is only one beer or one glass of wine on the long run it becomes more and before you know it your addicted to alcohol, especially when alcoholism run in the family. My grandfather died of alcoholism and other relatives have died because of the abuse of alcohol so I’m really careful with alcohol.