The Therapeutic Ways of Theatre

Mallory - Portland, Oregon

The Therapeutic Ways of Theatre.

Everyone has a home away from home. Somewhere they can be their total self and never fear being judged or heckled. It feels right from the second you step through the doors, or in my case, step past the curtains. I believe that theatre is a form of therapy because I wouldn’t be able to be the person I am today without having been all of the characters I played. Acting is a vacation to me, it is a way to escape from who I am for hours at a time, giving me a fresh pair of glasses to look at my life through. It is easy to lose who you are, especially when you are young, as weird as it sounds being someone else helped cement who I am.

I am the kind of person who isn’t a big fan of samples, if I am going to try something I am going to dive head first inside the new experience. From my first kiddy acting class I was cast as the lead and that was the first time I was able to see and feel someone else’s pain and joy as if it were my own. Since that day I have learned something from every role I have had, even the one liner and walk on. I create a past and a life for this person, because as soon as the lights go up and I walk on stage I am no longer myself, I am the heart and soul of this character.

I believe theater can give you an outlet to let loose of all your inhibitions and let the extenuating circumstances fall away. You are able to take pain away from your experiences and put them into a scene that can move people to tears. All I can tell you is that there is a moment when I step on stage, shedding all of my insecurities and taking on the life, emotions, ideals of someone else, that I feel most alive. You can depend upon this character. Your actions and words have been planned out letting the twisted truths of reality fade away. It gives me faith that someday life might be as simple as lines written in a script.

You can learn more from yourself than anyone else. But in order to be able learn you have to know who “you” are. I honestly believe that the person you are is made up of all the people you have met and all the people you have been. Drama has just been a filter in my life to see which parts of these people leave foot prints across my being. For some people the road to self discovery is laying on a vinyl couch talking to a balding man with a clipboard. But for me it has always been theatre, it is at the center of who I am and in all honesty it keeps me sane.