I Believe in the Power of the Journey

Edward - Latonia, Kentucky

I Believe In The Power of the Journey.

Growing up in a four room house with two brothers, an aunt, and my mom was not easy. We had no running water and lived five miles from the nearest town. No running water meant that I had to make a long journey to the outhouse when nature called. Be it summer or winter, day or night, rain or shine, the journey had to take place.

There were a lot of life lessons I would learn during these trips. I learned that there are some things in life we do not want to do but we simply must. Nature does not respect the fact it is three in the morning and there is two feet of snow on the ground. I also learned that if you are prepared for the worst you will never be in need. The last place you want to find yourself is in an outhouse in the middle of a rainy night with no paper on the roll.

My family moved to the city a few years later. I appreciated the indoor plumbing more than the architecture, landscape, or the cool fireplace in my bedroom. The journey taught me to respect where I was and what I had. Without the journey, you can’t truly appreciate where you are in life.

I believe in the power of the journey. The hard lessons learned that form us into who we are. I do not regret those nights of hiking in the woods. Sometimes on a clear night, when the journey was over, I would be on my way back home and stop to look at the sky. It was there I would witness the beauty of the constellations in the heavens. Without the journey, I would have missed the beauty along the way.