To Gain Trust

Josh - Beaverton, Oregon

To Gain Trust

In life there are several different ways to earn the trust of the people around you, but I believe that the best way to gain this trust is to be accountable to the people around you. In movies you see people who are not where they said they would be. How is someone going to be able to trust that person, if they do not do what they promised they would do? This is the main part of accountability; it is the difference between “talking the talk” and actually “walking the walk”.

When I was young I was able to do what ever I wanted to do. I could go to friend’s houses, go to the high school football games, and play sports. I always had a blast doing these things because I was able to hang out with my friends and do things that I loved to do. My dad would always tell me to call and tell him if I was going somewhere or just to check in every hour or so. I would be having so much fun with my friends that I would forget to call him, and he started to lose trust in me because he would not know where I was at and who I was with. He found out that when I was with a certain group of friends I would not call him. Finally he said no more doing the things you want to do until you are able to do the one thing I want you to do. This one simple thing was to call and tell him where I was, who I was with, and what I was doing. I was not being accountable to my dad and that was a problem.

The next school year came buy and my dad gave me a phone for my birthday and he said that I now have no excuse for not calling him because that was my excuse before. Slowly I was able to earn his trust back. By calling and checking in with him. I was so glad that I was able to earn his trust back because now I was able to do the things that I loved to do. I was also glad because now I did not have to wait for my mom to get off the home phone I could now use the new high-tech cell phone. This is what helped me earn his trust back.

By the end of this event my dad and I grew closer because he now had my trust. I also gained trust in him I was now able to tell him things that I would have never have told him before. He now knows where I’m at and he now can contact me if he needs to. I know now that he was just trying to protect me from the dangerous of life that could make the rest of my life miserable. He helped me make choices that kept me out of trouble and it was all because of this event.

If you are accountable to others then you will earn their trust. And this is important to build the type of relationships you will use the rest of your life. These relationships will help life go smoother during tough times and it will flow even more smoothly during the not so tough times. I learned this the hard way and I regret it, but in the end it all worked out, and both my dad and I got something that we want; mine was the cell phone. This is why I believe that trust comes from accountability.