Life is Too Short for Hate

Lindsey - Woodland Park, Colorado

Although my personal experience is limited, I have observed a change in my peers that perhaps they have noted as well. I live in a small town, where there are three elementary schools that come together after the fifth grade to form a middle school. This was a very difficult transition for me, because I felt that my social status that I worked so hard for had been thrown out the window and I had to start over; except with more people. The next three years of middle school were what will hopefully be the shallowest most hateful years of my life. Everyone around me was so caught up in trying to figure out a new pecking order. Boys went from the alien species with cooties to the most sought after company. Gossip could be compared to a black market of information. People who I had known since pre-school in the little town seemed to drift away in a haze of mistrust and confusion.

However, when I reached high school, I became very busy with academics, sports, working, and my drivers license. It seems like yesterday that I was a scared freshman and somehow I looked up from a paper on my desk, and found myself in the middle of junior year. Seldom do I take the opportunity to reflect about what is actually happening around me. Friends have come and gone, but most importantly, the relationship I have with everyone in my class has changed. I am alarmed to think of graduating in a year and a half and it saddens me to think of never seeing these people who I have grown up with ever again. But it is from this dreary subject that I pull one of my greatest prides. With a looming separation, I have learned of my love for these people. Now when I walk down the hall, I make a conscience effort not to judge people and to have an open mind. And it is from this that I get my ease and happiness. Hating takes much more energy than acceptance.

When I graduate I do not want people to remember middle school. I want them to remember the good times we all had together once we got past our differences in the later years of high school. I believe life is to short for hate. Whether you are about to graduate from high school or not, it is important to love the people around you because they might walk out of you life when your not looking.