Andrew - Fort Collins, Colorado
Themes: war

I believe that the foreign war in Iraq is pointless and unfair. Going back to September 11, 2001 I can faintly remember hearing the faint sound from the T.V. “This is one of the most tragic evens that has ever happened to this country” the reported said in a scared and shaky voice. As I walked into the living room I heard everyone talking to each other in scared tones. After waking up, I realized how horrible of an event that had taken place that morning.

No words were spoken on the way to my Elementary School at the time. When school started at 8:00 A.M. my second grade teacher walk into the silent room with a worried and gloomy look on her face. We recited the Pledge of Allegiance, and talked about the horrible attacks that had happened to one of our biggest nations cities.

After all the attacks had taken place, everyone was trying to blame each other besides themselves. When in fact we, the U.S. let it happen to us by not having enough precautions. We only make the changes that are needed until something horrible has happened and it finally opens our eyes.

4,000 American soldiers have died while protecting and serving the United States in the Iraq war. Unfortunately, people are just ignoring these devastating deaths and they can just keep going on with their life. This is just a number to many until someone close to you serves in Iraq, and possibly gets injured or dies. I am lucky, I have not had to go through the process of having some one close to me over-seas. I can only imagine how hard this could be for everyone that knows him/her.

This is not fair to our troops and the countries that are being attacked because of the misleading information about “weapons of mass destruction in Iraq”. With no real “Iraqi Army” in Iraq, the citizens that are trying to protect their families and their countries against our own troops. With over the cost of 270 million dollars a day fighting in this war, we are supposed to find a way out of this gigantic debt instead of digging ourselves deeper into this hole. With 1.2 million civilians that have been killed or injured, this is mostly innocent people that are dying trying to protect their homes. With all of these deaths there are many kids that are now orphans because they have lost their parents.

We might be making progress in some areas of the war, but this war is basically a lost cause, when we are losing more than we are gaining. Let the Iraqi’s run their country the way they want. We are trying to convince ourselves that we are doing well for both side, but we aren’t! With an unexplainable debt, and not making great progress the best thing for us to do for the United States, Iraqi, and the other Middle Eastern countries that are being attacked. We just need to get out! This I believe.